The Mightybytes team has been working on a COVID-19 test site locator to help people quickly find nearby locations for a coronavirus or antibody test. This will be a free tool released as a public good.
Other test site finders exist, but to our knowledge there is no comprehensive, mobile-responsive location-based search tool that follows web accessibility guidelines. Most are just long lists of test sites that users must scroll through to find what they are looking for. Not optimal. Some maps aren't available to all users because of the OS (i.e., Apple only).
This product is targeted to people interested in learning more about COVID-19 test availability near them. Understanding that healthcare facilities are overwhelmed during this crisis, we will provide clear test requirements for every location listed so users better understand what will be required of them before pursuing a test.
A working prototype currently pulls information from publicly available, community-sourced data for coronavirus test sites based in the United States. We have altered the data source to fit the product’s needs. Currently, there are about 100 locations listed.
The front-end interface is not styled, but it is accessible and responsive and will work across devices. Branding can be added once we locate and identify appropriate partners.
We view this project as a public benefit without commercial interests (i.e. it will be free of costs, advertising, etc.). Next steps involve completing the search tool for COVID-19 test locations and to add antibody testing locations. Mightybytes is looking for partners to help us:
- Find better data sources for (preferably global) test locations
- Ongoing qualification of data and long-term data management
- Fund ongoing product maintenance (hosting, updates, etc.)
- Co-promote the product’s availability to other potential partners, the media, etc.
Understanding that one organization may not possess the resources or expertise necessary to meet all the requirements above, we are open to partnering with multiple organizations.
Costs are dependent on numerous factors, from volume-based search and hosting costs to managing data long-term and keeping search results relevant and up-to-date.
The Ideal Partner
The ideal partner for this project would have the following characteristics:
- Focus on healthcare or related field
- Mission-driven and aligned with B Corp values (open to all sectors)
- Also sees this as a public benefit without commercial interests
- Can devote long-term resources to this project
- Has a network of nonprofit, corporate, and government connections who can provide added value and help promote the tool’s availability
We are looking to move quickly, as this global pandemic requires urgency.