Disposal of Plastic Wastes
Plastic consumption has many kinds of Purposes, Generally speaking, Plastics now play an important role in all aspects of modern lifestyle. And used in public Stores, Groceries and all kinds of modern Business Entrepreneurs packages.
All sorts of items including protective packaging, Plastic Packages, Many Bottled Liquids containers etc. are manufactured by Plastic materials
This Plastic products led the Environmental Pollution in our community settlements, plastic bags are used by community customers and eventually make uncontrolled garbage in Oceans, around most populated residences area by seriously affecting Domestic animals which usually accidently swallowed through the food remaining Plastic wastes lying on the ground.
Disposal of plastic waste has a negative impact of environmental challenge. the amount of plastic waste in our surroundings is steadily increasing.
Plastic polymers require greater processing to be recycled as each type melts at different temperatures and has different properties, so careful separation is necessary. Moreover, most plastics are not highly compatible with one another.
Hence, the use of plastic and its recycling MUST go together, we need solutions but we don’t look over Plastic wastes around us and event in remote areas like great oceans, Rivers, Lagoons and grassing land of Animal creatures
We are familiar that we could not halt product of Plastics packages as are going with new developments. But we must stand the best method that we can recycle Plastic Wastes and Plastic waste managements
The Plastic Waste Management
The Plastic Waste Management shall be as under;
(a) Recycling, recovery or disposal of plastic waste shall be carried out as per the rules, regulations and standards stipulated by the Somali central government from time to time;
(b) Recycling of plastics shall be carried out in accordance with the Somali Local government Standard as Guidelines for Recycling of Plastics, as amended from time to time;
(c) The Somali Municipal Authority shall be responsible for setting up, operationalization and coordination of the waste management system and for performing the associated functions, namely:-
- to ensure safe collection, storage, segregation, transportation, processing and disposal of plastic waste;
- to ensure that no damage is caused to the environment during this process;
- to ensure setting up of collection centers for plastic waste involving manufacturers; (iv) to ensure its channelization to recyclers;
- to create awareness among all stakeholders about their responsibilities;
- to engage agencies or groups working in waste management including waste pickers, and
- to ensure that open burning of plastic waste is not permitted;
- for setting up plastic waste collection centers, the Municipal Authority may ask the manufacturers, either collectively or individually in line with the principle of Extended Producer's Responsibility to provide the required finance to establish such collection center;
- recyclers shall ensure that recycling facilities are in accordance with the Somali Local Government Standard:
- the concerned Somali Municipal Authority shall ensure that the residues generated from recycling processes are disposed of in compliance with Schedule II (Management of Municipal Solid Wastes) and Schedule III (Specifications for Landfill Sites) of the Municipal Solid Wastes (Management and Handling;
- the Somali Municipal Authority shall incorporate the said rules in the Municipal Bye- laws of all the Urban Local Bodies;
- The Somali Municipal Authority shall encourage the use of plastic waste by adopting suitable technology such as in Road Construction etc.
- The Somali Municipal Authority or the operator intending to use such technology shall ensure the compliance with the prescribed standards including pollution norms prescribed by the Competent Authority in this regard.