OpenIDEO is an open innovation platform. Join our global community to solve big challenges for social good. Sign Up / Login or Learn more

Jute Bags

A suitable substitute of plastic bags

Photo of Dr. Sukumar Kar
6 3

Written by

As we all know today we are almost totally dependent on plastic, it is around us in different forms like bottles,sachets,carry bags etc. We can see plastic in every field of life whether it is toys,kitchen item,grocery items. But one of the major area where we can see plastic is in form of bags or carry bags. It is being the habit of every purchaser or consumer to carry products in plastic bags. 

A study by the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) in 2008 showed that only 6.8% of all plastic waste is recycled. But what happens to the other 93.2% ? Eighty per cent of floating waste in oceans and lakes is comprised of plastic, and this forms a major threat to aquatic wildlife.

Governments of India,Australia, Bangladesh, Ireland, Kenya, Rwanda, South Africa, Taiwan, Uganda and several cities in the United States have taken successful measures for reducing the use of plastic bags and encourages the usage of jute bags.

Advantages of jute bags

The use of jute bags instead of plastic bags offers many advantages, including the following:

  • Jute bags are ecological
  • Jute bags are durable
  • Jute has a low ecologic footprint
  • jute has a low water footprint
  • Jute is Cradle to Cradle
  • Jute bags degrade biologically in 1-2 years
  • Jute bags are extremely strong
  • Jute bags can be reused and are thus very environmentally friendly


Tell us about yourself

I am a educationist and researcher.

6 comments

Join the conversation:

Comment
Spam
Photo of mary abasi

I can’t believe this. A great testimony that i must share to all HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS patient in the world i never believed that their could be any complete cure for Herpes or any cure for herpes,i saw people’s testimony on blog sites of how dr Ero prepare herbal medicine that cure and brought them back to life again. i had to try it too and you can,t believe that in just few weeks i started using it all my pains stop gradually and i had to leave without the pills the doctor gave to me. Right now i can tell you that few months now i have not had any pain,delay in treatment leads to death. Here is his email:(wealthylovespell@gmail.com) whatsapp him with +2348105150446 visit blog http://wealthyspellhome.over-blog.com

View all comments