We are a team of 3 social designers based in Tainan, Taiwan, and have been trying to tackle the issue of too many disposable cups being used in Taiwan. We'd like to share what we've learned so far.
We have been implementing a reusable cups rental system, in which reusable & returnable cups are provided to our members when they buy their drinks from our vendor partners.
- We deliver cleaned, sanitized and reusable cups to vendors
- Customers get their drinks in the reusable & returnable cups
- After finishing the drinks, customers return the cups to any of our vendor partners
- We collect used cups from vendor partners and clean and sanitize all used cups
We use mason jars with plastic (PP) sip lids.
We are partnered with 6 vendors, have recruited 600+ members and have saved 800+ disposable cups in about 3 months.
- Customers use the cup in our system only when they are sure they will be at a place where a vendor partner is available so they will be able to return the cup.
- The sip lids decrease the uses of straws.
- Although our cups come with many parts (a jar, a band, and a lid), customers return all parts.
- Both customers and vendors feel the glass material is "cleaner," compare to plastic or stainless.
- Customers like it because it makes the drink look and feel special.
- The non-return rate is about 13.2%
We are continuing gathering more data and feedback and trying to improve the service. Hope this info may inspire some other creativity.