The world has witnessed the negative impact of plastic bottle tops on the environment. But mother nature has everything in store for us. We have trees all over; so we can save mother nature using the very same nature by producing and making use of wooden bottle tops. It is a reliable method since it produces no wastes.
Wooden bottle tops can be re-used (if needed) all can be disposed without casing any adverse impact on the environment.
These wooden tops can be locally produced at a very low cost. In fact, wood industries produce a lot of left overs which could be turned in a good raw material for wooden bottle tops.
It is hard to change peoples' behaviors and preference, so encouraging people not to use coffee cups, water bottles and other products they are used to would prove to be a challenge, the solution is to keep on supplying them with the same items/products only that this this time you supply the products in new and environmentally friendly materials. That's when wooden items come in.
Wooden bottle-tops come in different designs, those with inner/outer thread, non-threaded lids, shampoo/lotion bottle caps and many more designs.
This idea is easily executable in both developing and developed countries since it does not necessarily need sophisticated technology to produce wooden items. The only difference is that in developing countries production can be done locally at small scale unlike developed countries which may have better technology for mass production. I intend to use trees which have adverse health impact to consumers Bamboo trees being one of them, studies show that some trees are toxic and others may contain bacteria especially when they are still wet. That is why my idea focuses on health friendly trees and materials.
Resources needed include the following;
1. Raw materials:
- Wood: In my research I have found out that bamboo tree is one of the best since it is light but hard and non-toxic. I am still researching on other types of tree which could fit my idea.
- My plan is to have farms of all the trees that best fit my idea starting with bamboo.Other plants will be Neem, coconut tree, palm tree and others. At the beginning of the project/production I will rely on the huge supply of trees from private and public sources while growing my own farms.
- Cutting and shaping tools and machines
- I am still researching the market for the best and affordable machines. My plan is to use locally made tools which I believe are affordable. I expect large scale machine will be installed during scale up for mass production.
- Coating material: These will be non-toxic material and will enable the product to last longer and look attractive. These may come in different colors and designs. I will make sure these materials have no adverse effects to earth or products being packaged.
- Packaging materials: The idea is to use banana fibre in packaging since it is cheap, natural and environmental friendly. Bananas are widely planted in my region because banana is the main food crop. Alternatively, paper & paper boxes can be used for they are light and environmental friendly.
2. Human Resources:
The kind of human resources to be employed will include technical expertise for designing and production as well as management and marketing personnel.
In order to execute this idea without causing environmental issues especially deforestation, the plan is to have enough farms with different kinds of trees to be used in production. This helps to monitor these trees as they grow in order to keep qualities required in production.
As production grows, more wooden products will be introduced according to market and environmental needs.