Empowering caregivers through communication interventions
Enhancing the intake of childhood vaccination among rural dwellers, through vaccination communication and sensitization.
Describe what you intend to do and how you'll do it in one sentence (required 250 Characters)
Our aim is to increase the intake of childhood vaccination in rural communities, using critical communications strategies that will enhance caregivers' participation, provide support and facilitate decision making.
Explain the idea (less than 2,000 characters)
Nigeria has suffered low rate in eligible child vaccination and this has been attributed to lack of trust, poor access to vaccines, ignorance, religious and social beliefs among other factors. https://www.ncbi.nlm.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4754015/ . Hence to break the jinx we will engage in the following:
1. Sensitization; we will visit homes of caregivers, and organize educative programs in public places in order to create awareness and educate parents and other caregivers on the need and benefits of immunization.
2. We will organize training for community volunteers and local health practitioners on various communication skills/ vaccine storage techniques. Which will enable them become more skilled in rural communication processes and vaccine dissemination.
3. We will provide support for caregivers by offering counseling sessions on personal and specific needs, creating parent support groups, provide mobile clinics with vaccine storage kits and any other support needed to facilitate decision making and encourage participation.
4. We will enable communication by translating into local languages through the use of interpreters and available relevant materials
5. We will organize interactive sessions and programs for the community, health service providers and other stakeholders. In order to enable trust, build understanding and acceptance. And this will in turn enhance monitoring, sustainability and encourage community involvement and ownership.
Which part(s) of the world does this idea target?
Geographic Focus (less than 250 Characters)
the 9 Niger Delta ( Abia, Akwa Ibom, Bayalsa, cross-River, Delta, Edo, Imo, Ondo and Rivers) states in Nigeria, western Africa
Who are your end users and how well do you know them? (750 characters)
The end users are caregivers in rural communities. Most of which are peasant farmers, with low literacy rate. They are homogenous in nature with intimate relationships and face to face contacts with each other. We are very familiar with the end users as we have worked in/with rural communities in various parts of the Niger Delta region in Nigeria as regards communication interventions, peace keeping and relief intervention projects. under UNDP/EU projects, Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC) projects and Rivers State government projects.
How is the idea unique? (750 Characters)
Effective communication is critical in ensuring children are adequately vaccinated. But most communications interventions have been developed at national level and implemented locally which results to poor community involvement and participation, because their specific needs are rarely covered. (https://www.ncbi.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4754015/).
However, our project design is tailored towards individual communities, in order to meet their specific concerns and peculiarities as it concerns immunization. And also, enable environment for community involvement and participation.
Idea Proposal Stage (Select 1)
Blueprint: We are exploring the idea and gathering the inspiration and information we need to test it with real users.
How many months are required for the project idea? (140 characters)
it will take us approximately 12 months
Organization Name (less than 140 characters)
International Society for Social Justice and Human Rights (ISSJHR)
Type of Submitter
We are a registered NGO or Non-Profit Organization
International/global organization (implementing in multiple countries)
Organization Location (less than 140 Characters)
Port- Harcourt, Rivers State, Nigeria.
What is the current scale of your organization’s work?
Community (working within one or a few local communities within a region)
www.societyforjustice.org not live
Tell us more about your organization/company (1-2 sentences)
International Society for Social Justice and Human Rights is a civil right organization/NGO saddled with the responsibility to promote the cause of social Justices and human rights as it is defined and widely accepted internationally.
Who will work alongside your organization in the project idea? (750 characters)
Local primary Health centers, CBOs and community leaders
How many people are on your team?
Tell us more about you and your team
Dr. Omenazu Jackson a political scientist serves as the Chancellor of the organization
Dr. Stanley Amadi a practising paediatrician for more than 15 years, serves as the program manager of the organisation
Mrs. Frankincense Omenazu an accountant is the deputy program manager
Maureen Ifeoma Godsaint a practising microbiologist, serves as the welfare coordinator of the organisation.
Abeyi Faith Okeoghene a Development/rural communicator, serves as the media officer/project officer 1.
Miss chinyere Ihekwoaba an ICT specialist, serves as the ICT officer of the organization
Umezurike Okechukwu has a Bachelors degree in Public Health and he serves as the project officer 2