Community Integrated Child Immunization – CICI.
Sensitize Community leaders to include Child Immunization topic when they address their subjects; and to introduce Care Facilitators.
Describe what you intend to do and how you'll do it in one sentence (required 250 Characters)
Dunia Foundation intends to use integrated Child Immunization to empower Care Givers to seek and utilize immunization services at Rural Health/Outreach Centres in Chirundu district by incorporating Community mobilization and Care Facilitators service
Explain the idea (less than 2,000 characters)
1. Two major challenges shall be addressed. (a) Immunization myths. In rural areas communities embrace myths seriously which tend to be negative towards development. In immunization, examples are: i. Belief that when children get these immunizations they will not reproduce children when they grow up; ii. Belief that immunized children die before they reach old age; iii. Fear that immunization side effects will negatively affect the child such as crying a lot, fever, and diarrhea. (b). Discouragement caused by long distances to and from the health facility.
2. The estimated population for Chipepo catchment area is 14,982. When the children are health the entire community benefits. The target is to vaccinate 97% of the intended children. In 2018 the coverage for Zambia was 96%.
3. We intend to execute the Integrated Child Immunization which is an appropriate, innovative, and proactive approach by incorporating; (a). Community Mobilization; Chiefs, Headmen, and other influential leaders (including husbands) will be sensitized on the importance of supporting Care givers in Health matters; community leaders will be sensitized to be including immunization topic whenever they conduct meetings. (b). Introduce local female Child Immunization Care Facilitators who will ensure that Care Givers are motivated, reminded of the dates of immunization and visited regularly; (c). Empower Care Facilitators by conducting a workshop for them in order to build capacity on how to motivate Care givers and monitor the immunization attendance. In order to succeed we will fully involve the Chiefs and Rural Health Centre staff.
Which part(s) of the world does this idea target?
Geographic Focus (less than 250 Characters)
This idea targets vulnerable women and girls in Chipepo Rural Health Centre catchment area in Chirundu district in Zambia, Africa with the vision of scaling it up to cover other parts of Chirundu district and Rufunsa district in Zambia.
Who are your end users and how well do you know them? (750 characters)
Vulnerable women and girls in the rural part of Chirundu district called Chipepo; note that the focus is on women and girls because traditionally taking children to any health services is regarded to be a woman’s responsibility. I had a chance of interacting with villagers of this catchment area when I was researching on the right place to set-up a Village Experience destination for students from America and Europe. I discovered that these women cover long distances on foot to access Health services. Some mothers carry two under five children while they are pregnant. The strength of these people is their determination to ensure that children get the best services regardless of the worst conditions and hardships they face.
How is the idea unique? (750 Characters)
This idea is exceptional because it will focus on an innovative and proactive approach. I was the first person to involve Chiefs in the fight against AIDS in Kaputa district. This was adapted countrywide. Moreover, Chiefs have been used to fight Gender Based Violence. However, no one has worked with Chiefs in the immunization field. No one has ever used Care Facilitators or volunteers to specifically motivate care givers on immunization. The success is guaranteed due to unique experience of human resource.
Idea Proposal Stage (Select 1)
Pilot: We have started to implement the idea as a whole with a first set of real users. The feasibility of an innovation is tested in a small-scale and real world application (i.e. 3-15% of the target population)
How many months are required for the project idea? (140 characters)
It will take us 1 year to implement phase one of our work and achieve the desired 97% immunization coverage.
Organization Name (less than 140 characters)
Type of Submitter
We are a registered NGO or Non-Profit Organization
Women’s health/rights focused
Organization Location (less than 140 Characters)
Dunia Foundation is based in Lusaka City in Zambia, Africa.
What is the current scale of your organization’s work?
Community (working within one or a few local communities within a region)
Not available at the moment.
Tell us more about your organization/company (1-2 sentences)
Dunia Foundation focuses on uplifting the lives of women, girls, and Orphans and Vulnerable Children. Empowering Care Givers to seek and fully utilize immunization services challenge fit into our Organization goals because the focus is on children and women who are mainly the care givers in this part of the world.
Who will work alongside your organization in the project idea? (750 characters)
We shall work alongside. 1. Chirundu District Health Management Team; This team has all the health data in the district and can give the timely advice. 2. Chipepo Rural Health Centre staff; These staff have the direct contact with the targeted community. 3. Local Chief and Village headmen; These are the custodians of our tradition and culture, and can easily influence change in beliefs. This approach of involving Community leaders has been tried and has stood the test of time.
How many people are on your team?
Tell us more about you and your team
1. J. C. Phiri. Program Manager; has also worked as District Universal Child Immunization Coordinator. He will manage the project and do the field work.
2. Timothy Ngoma. Accountant and is working as Program Manager. He will ensure finances are properly and effectively utilized; and conduct internal audit.
3. Kapuche Phiri. Midwife. He will monitor and evaluate the project; and be involved in field work.
4. Maclina Phiri. Teacher specialized in I.C.T. She will accurately document project implementation and achievements.
We value time management, transparency, integrity, and accountability. Team members have an excellent track record of engaging with beneficiaries, provide Maternal Child Health Care, conduct community mobilization, and Training. With these qualities, we are the ideal team to solve this problem. I worked amicably with health staff and community when I was establishing Village Experience for Oversees Healthcare placement students. We shall manage the project.