Youth Entrepreneurship And Vocational Skills Training As Strategies for Job Creation, Youth Employment and Peace Building in Nigeria.
Centre for Values in Leadership is an NGO that has empowered 10,000 youth in 14 years through leadership and entrepreneurship development.
Explain your project idea (2,000 characters)
The Young Entrepreneurship Training Programme- YETP is a special entrepreneurship and skills acquisition, leadership, and business mentoring programme that offers sustainable livelihood support and employment opportunities for thousands of youths in Nigeria. The programme is implemented in 12months through different phases.
The main idea of this project is to combat youth unemployment and violent extremism in Nigeria through youth entrepreneurship. CVL believes that engaging the youth in entrepreneurship shifts them away from being “job seekers” to “job creators”, which is critical in promoting peace in communities affected by conflict in many parts of Nigeria.
The YETP programme involves enhancing the entrepreneurship and vocational skills of participants to enable them to start their own sustainable businesses. In addition, beneficiaries undergo business internships/apprenticeships with master trainers and business owners, followed by provision of capital (business start-up kits). Furthermore, participants receive interactive life skills component, where they will gain comprehensive knowledge on leadership related issues and learn how to develop self-confidence. The YETP phases include:-
1. Phase 1: Art of Living & Leadership Development: This is a Self-Mastery Programme involves physical and mental exercises, meditation techniques, and personal self-discovery and goal setting in life
2. Phase 2. Leadership Capacity Building & the Pedagogy of the Determined
Immediately after the Self-Mastery Training.
3. Phase 3: Business and Entrepreneurship Training: The participants are enrolled for the 2-to-3-month intensive training.
4. Phase 4: Practical Internship with Business Mentors where participants are grouped/paired with business mentors in the same line of business for a period of 2 months.
5. Phase 5: Graduation/Allocation/Distribution of Start-up Capital.
6. Phase 6: Hand holding and Technical Support for 6 months.
Who are the beneficiaries? (1,000 characters)
The target population for this project includes:-
• The youth who are at least sixteen (16) years and below 40 years who have completed nine years of formal/basic education.
• Persons without formal education may also be considered in some instances
• School leavers and school dropouts
• Persons with special needs and;
• Graduates from tertiary institutions who desire to acquire functional and marketable skills to enhance their employability or self-sustainable business startups.
How is your idea unique? (1,000 characters)
This project idea is unique in our Strategic Approach. Other organisations do not provide comprehensive package while implementing similar project. Our strategies include:
1. Technical/Vocational Skills Acquisition
2. Entrepreneurship/Leadership Training
3. Business Mentoring/Apprenticeship/On the Job Training
4. Technical Support (Business Plan Writing, Business Registration, etc.)
5. Financial Support (Start-ups, Grants, Loans, & Growth Support)
6. Hand-holding/Technical Support
Idea Proposal Stage (choose one)
Early Adoption: I have completed a pilot and analyzed the impact of that pilot on the intended users of the idea. I have begun to expand the pilot for early adoption.
Majority Adoption: I have expanded the pilot significantly and the program product or service has been adopted by the majority of our intended user base.
Tell us more about your organization/company (1 sentence and website URL)
CVL is a national Ngo and social enterprise established on 10th March 2004 by Prof. Pat Utomi, and for 14 years has taken a holistic approach to youth leadership development and economic empowerment, impact over 10,000 youth through skills enhancement, capacity building in entrepreneurship and business management, and access to finance. For more details goto: http://www.cvl.com.ng
Organization Filing Status
Yes, we are a registered non-profit.
Yes, we are a registered social enterprise.
In 3-4 sentences, tell us the inspiration or story that encouraged you to start this project.
High youth unemployment rate in Nigeria is a key factor fueling violent extremism and youth restiveness in Nigeria. Consequently, Millions of youth are wallowing in abject poverty and economic hardship. With this glaring hardship, young people have become very restive and extremely violent in conduct at the slightest opportunity, leading them to indulge in militancy, kidnapping, armed robbery, and other acts of criminality.
Please explain how your selected topic areas are influenced, in the local context of your project (1,000 characters).
Young people in the Niger Delta Region have grouped themselves into several militancy groups demanding for resource control. For years, these groups have bombed oil installations to the extend of almost crumbling Nigeria's income earning and economic growth. During this period, the Nigeria military intervened but that did not bring peace to the communities. More damage was done to farm lands, water resources, and fishing and agricultural activities. In contrast, the region started witnessing increased kidnapping, armed robbery, and economic sabotage by the youth. The YETP idea is to create job and employment for these youth and get their mind off militancy and violent agitation.
Who will work alongside your organization in the project idea? (1,000 characters)
1. Local Community Business owners who will engage the participants in 2-months business mentoring, impacting practical knowledge and good business management principles to participants.
2. Community Resource Persons: Contribute as Entrepreneurship Facilitators and Vocational Skills Trainers.
3. Community and Business Leaders: Act as Role Models to share their practical life and career experiences with the YETP participants.
The above examples have been proved successful in Ajegunle Lagos and Delta state where the strategies were piloted.
Please share some of the top strengths identified in the community which your project will serve (500 characters)
1. Local vocational training centres and business owners
2. Thousands of young unemployed graduates ready to be to be trained.
3. Thousands of other young men who have participated in conflict as ex-militants looking for opportunity like this to be integrated back to society.
4. Oil-rich communities devastated by militancy yearning for peace in their communities
5. Government the Federal, State, and Local levels looking for opportunity to bring peace in these communities.
The project idea is targeted at four communities in the Niger Delta Region , South South Nigeria.
How many months are required for the project idea? (500 characters)
The project requires 12 months to complete a full cycle.
Did you submit this idea to our 2017 BridgeBuilder Challenge? (Y/N)
If Yes, how has project idea changed, grown, or evolved since last year? (2,000 characters)
Youth Participants at CVL Entrepreneurship Programme in Delta State