SMAP LIVELIHOOD FARM
We are a platform that bridge the gap in market and meat production while re-integrating displaced farmer to a newer livelihood.
Explain your project idea (2,000 characters)
The project idea seeks to increase production of meat (chickens, Turkeys, eggs) through rearing of birds, while bridging the gap in supply and establishing a modern day chicken slaughter house in Makurdi Benue state.
The following problems were unraveled during our filed exercise:
(1) Scarcity of white meat (chicken & turkeys) and eggs in the markets, mostly during festive periods in Benue state.
(2) Lack of market information and access to a profitable market or off takers.
(3) Poor slaughtering house with proper hygiene in village markets.
(3) High rate of Unemployment due to herders and farmers clash in rural communities.
The idea seeks to eliminates the above mentioned problems in the following ways:
(1) Engage more affected farmers in poultry farming and thereby increasing the production of meats and eggs while solving the problem of poverty coursed by unemployment as a result of prolonged conflict.
(2) Using our innovative platform (one stop shops in different markets) we aims to help other farm owners sale off their produce at the prevailing market price but with a commission which will be signed prior to lending. We consider the activities of greedy middle men in bigger markets who eventually meets the final consumers of our produces as a treat to the peace, progress and prosperity of farm managers in Nigeria (Benue state case study) and considers the above approach as a measure in curbing it.
(3) The devastating nature of a typical slaughter house in majority of rural market, is also considered a reason why consumers are afraid of buying chickens from local sellers, hence the idea seeks to situate a one stop shop per market.
Who are the beneficiaries? (1,000 characters)
Our targeted beneficiaries includes but not limited to:
(1) The Consumers of white meat in Benue state ( off all ages).
(2) The backdrops of unemployed or displaced women in Benue state (internally displaced farmers due to prolong Fulani herders & farmers clash).
(3) The livestock managers who will eventually enjoys a normal profits after harvest of produce from their poultry farms including our team / partners (Displaced women).
Sources (Nigerian Vice president vising IDP camps in Benue state MAY 2018
How is your idea unique? (1,000 characters)
Our idea deploys a more integrated approach in curbing community challenges with little or nothing from its beneficiaries and focus on basic need of disable persons which goes along way in securing their peace, prosperity.
Although there may be existing initiatives training some section of the society but we are particular in redirecting and empowering disable women and their family members to a new source of livelihood.
Idea Proposal Stage (choose one)
Initial Design: I am exploring the idea, gathering the inspiration and information I need to test it with real users.
Prototype: I have done some small tests or experiments with prospective users to continue developing the idea.
Tell us more about your organization/company (1 sentence and website URL)
We are an organization that seeks to bridge the gap in meat production in Nigeria and empowering displace persons through poultry farming. We are registered as a business name with two proprietors.
Organization Filing Status
Yes, we are a registered social enterprise.
Yes, we are a registered company.
In 3-4 sentences, tell us the inspiration or story that encouraged you to start this project.
While rearing birds for personal consumption, I discover I could rear birds for commercial purpose too, hence I decided to go commercial and found out that I could not cross the bridge of profitability in poultry farming.
Also as a youth I discovered the stress and time it takes young people strive in a hash society live Nigeria, hence I resulted to self help legally and ensuring other people (displaced farmers in Benue state) who have similar challenges deserves care.
Please explain how your selected topic areas are influenced, in the local context of your project (1,000 characters).
In Nigeria peace and particularly peace is influenced by ethnic and religious tension, Prosperity by unemployment emanating from displacement while Planet has been impacted by climate change, over population which has further brought about scarcity among herders and farmers Nigeria.
Who will work alongside your organization in the project idea? (1,000 characters)
Apart from my self as the initiator of this idea, other partners who will contribute in one way of the other includes but not limited to:
(1) OZULUONYE PRECIOUSE NKECHIYERE
(2) BINA REMEMBER
(3) PETER NWOSU
We all have work together for over 5 year and understand the community very well.
Please share some of the top strengths identified in the community which your project will serve (500 characters)
(1) Benue state is the food basket of the Nation and as such with good number of farmers occupying a bigger land mass suitable for farming crops and rearing Animal.
(2) The cost of labour is encouraging to startups when compared to other state in Nigeria, and cost of leaving is relatively low too.
(3) Benue state consist of majority of Tiv and minority of Odoma ethnic groups.
Africa - Nigeria - Benue state - Makurdi
How many months are required for the project idea? (500 characters)
15 months only
Did you submit this idea to our 2017 BridgeBuilder Challenge? (Y/N)