RESTORING DIGNITY AND HOPE TO THE INTERNALLY DISPLACED CHILDREN AND WOMEN IN NIGERIA
This project is designed to restore dignity and hope to Children and Women affected by armed conflict in Nigeria.
The founder; His Eminence John Cardinal Onaiyekan leads the Inter-religious delegation for a solidarity visitation to the Internally Displaced Persons Camp in Abuja.
Explain your project idea (2,000 characters)
THE PROJECT IDEA
This project is designed to galvanize inter-religious collaboration towards overcoming violent religious extremism, engaging Children and Women affected by armed conflict and caring for the earth as a commitment to Peace. It is designed to reduce prejudice towards those outside their own Religious traditions, foster mutual respect and trust– and in this way, build resilience to the influence of extremism.
CHALLENGES THE PROJECT IDEA AND ITS BRIDGE HELP TO SOLVE
• Deprivation of access to peace education and vocational training
• Violent Extremism and Forced Recruitment into armed groups
• Outbreak of illnesses and diseases in IDP camps
• Increased Cultural and religious conflicts.
• Ignorance and prejudices
• Drug Abuse
• Social Exclusion
• Poor attitude and response to rehabilitation and social integration.
• Risk of forced Labour
• Forced early marriage
• Sexual Exploitation
• Domestic violence
• Unhealthy and unstable lifestyle
HOW DOES IT WORK:
• Organize Children Ambassador for Peace Contest [for Internally Displaced Children and Students in Primary/Secondary Schools] across the Nation.
• Organize intensive Peace Education workshop for two hundred  Formators, Teachers, Officials and Coordinators selected from the various Internally Displaced Persons Camps, Primary and Secondary Schools. Establish Peace Clubs in their respective institutions/communities.
• Organize vocational/entrepreneurial skills workshop on Catering, Confectioneries, Bead Making and Soap Making for five hundred  less privileged Internally Displaced Women
• Construct ten  Health Centres in selected Internally Displaced Persons Camps across the Nation.
• Drill ten  boreholes for Internally Displaced Persons in selected Internally Displaced Persons Camps across the Nation.
• Provide twenty  Solar Energy for Internally Displaced Persons in selected communities.
Who are the beneficiaries? (1,000 characters)
The beneficiaries of the project shall be composed mainly of Children and Women affected by armed conflict across the Nation with special attention to the Northern Region of the Country.
• Internally Displaced Children [Internally Displaced Persons Camp]
• Internally Displaced Women [Internally Displaced Persons Camp]
• Students [Primary/Secondary Schools]
The above-mentioned persons are composed of Children [12 – 25 Years] and Women who are vulnerable to conflicts of various forms. Majority of them [and their families] are victims of violent religious extremism while others are experiencing other forms of conflict and social exclusion.
This project is designed to cover the six geo-political zones of Nigeria [North-East, North-Central, North-West, South-East, South-West and South-South]. We observed that the problems this project intend to solve are not only limited to the North-East but to other parts of the Country where Children and Women are affected by conflicts.
Solidarity visitation at the Internally Displaced Persons Camp where we had an encounter with the Children and Women.
How is your idea unique? (1,000 characters)
Our Idea is Unique and Outstanding because:
• It is driven by religiously motivated and credible persons. This project implores inter-religious cooperation to bridge peace, prosperity and planet.
• It has a significant coverage. The Project covers the six-geo political zones in Nigeria.
• It is impactful. The project is focused on the vulnerable Children/Women who are affected by armed conflict and other forms of violence.
• It is sustainable. The project is designed in such a way that it can continue even at the expiration of the thirty-six months time line.
• It is action oriented. The project goes beyond theories; it is based on practical solution.
• It is purpose driven. The project doesn’t just aim at solving existing problems but also seek to prevent the recurrence or spread of such.
• It is realistic. A similar project has been organized by the foundation in collaboration with relevant international organizations. The idea is achievable.
Idea Proposal Stage (choose one)
Pilot: I have started to implement the idea as a whole with a first set of real users.
Tell us more about your organization/company (1 sentence and website URL)
Cardinal Onaiyekan Foundation for Peace is a non-partisan and not for profit organization established for study, action, and building bridges for peace; to promote inter-religious dialogue, understanding, respect and cooperation. Website: https://cofpfoundation.org
A video clip about the Founder COFP; His Eminence John Cardinal Onaiyekan.
Cardinal Onaiyekan Foundation for Peace [COFP] in collaboration with Religions for Peace, GHR Foundation and USAID organized Pan-African conference with the team “Faith Works Africa: Partnership for Peace and Prosperity” from Oct 17-21 2016 in Abuja.
Organization Filing Status
Yes, we are a registered non-profit.
In 3-4 sentences, tell us the inspiration or story that encouraged you to start this project.
This project is inspired by the exclusion, prejudice, suffering, poverty, neglect and many other challenges encountered by Internally Displaced Children and Women in Nigeria. We are also inspired by the United Nations General Assembly resolution 48/157, entitled "Protection of children affected by armed conflicts"; and the United Nations Security Council Resolution 1325 (S/RES/1325), ‘Protection of women and girls in armed conflict’.
Please explain how your selected topic areas are influenced, in the local context of your project (1,000 characters).
Peace is influenced by religious tensions in Nigeria with emphasis on the Northern region [East, West and Central] and lack of Peace Education across Primary/Secondary Schools in the Country.
Prosperity has been impacted by the socio-economic challenges and lack of quality health facilities in the internally displaced persons camps/communities in the six geo-political Zones [North-East, North-West, North-Central, South-South, South-East and South-West].
Planet has been impacted by lack of clean water and solar energy in the internally displaced persons camps/communities in the six geo-political Zones [North-East, North-West, North-Central, South-South, South-East and South-West]. This project is meant to transform Children and Women to Ambassadors of Peace.
Who will work alongside your organization in the project idea? (1,000 characters)
The project will be implemented by our foundation [Cardinal Onaiyekan Foundation for Peace] with the specialization of the project team considering their expertise in the thematic area. The foundation shall also implore the expertise of local and international partners with relevant interest and concern like Youth for Peace of the Community of Sant’ Egidio and The Interfaith Youth and Peace Building Network of Nigeria. The choice of this mentioned Organizations is based on their involvement and specialization in Children and Women engagement in Peace Building. They also have a strong and active network of volunteers across the Nation willing and ready to execute the project. Moreover, they too have been organizing humanitarian programmes for the targeted audience of this project.
Please share some of the top strengths identified in the community which your project will serve (500 characters)
Our Community’s top strength are reflected in the following:
• Experts with broad and in-depth knowledge and experience in Peace Building.
• Advanced multi stakeholder partnership and alliances
• Enhanced multi-religious networking and collaboration among the interfaith women and youth groups, Our organization also have a strong and active volunteers across the Nation willing and ready to work.
The Idea covers Nigeria with target on the North-East, North-Central and North-West.
How many months are required for the project idea? (500 characters)
Did you submit this idea to our 2017 BridgeBuilder Challenge? (Y/N)
If Yes, how has project idea changed, grown, or evolved since last year? (2,000 characters)
The project is a build up on the idea we sent last year. We did a review of our project. This was followed by a careful study of the guidelines of this competition with the assistance of the resources. The project shall Prioritize support to build inclusive, tolerant and resilient communities by empowering Children/Women [victims of armed conflict and other forms of violence] with the knowledge, skills and resources needed to build their ability, steer their communities to more positive alternatives, create safe spaces and develop authentic and local solutions to the problem of violent extremism. During our humanitarian intervention at the internally displaced persons camps, we observed that grievances that fuel radicalization often are exacerbated by absence of social, peer and family support, as well as a lack of skills or ability to identify and develop non-violent, practical solutions to these problems.
Medical outreach at the Internally Displaced Persons Camp.