Develop 21st skills, resilience and growth mindset for diverse students and communities in Bulgaria
Mutual learning and experiences that engage parents, students and teachers in diverse and poor communities that enhance skills and mindsets.
Explain your project idea (2,000 characters)
We will build up a model for mutual support and cooperation among teachers and parents in diverse communities to teach and develop, skills of the 21st century, skills for resilience and growth mindset. We consider that through education we will tackle social problems related to inequality poverty and violence in schools. Tackling these challenges involves creating an open community based on trust, knowledge, skills-building and equal access to opportunities where teachers and parents are active participants, role models and advocates.
Who are the beneficiaries? (1,000 characters)
Our beneficiaries are teachers in schools for diverse and non-privileged children, students in primary years schools (6-12 years) and their parents.
How is your idea unique? (1,000 characters)
The idea of our ogranization is unique because we are the only organization in Bulgaria that develops math literacy and skills through innovative educational methods in partnership with schools and the local authority. We have reached more that 700 students this academic year and more than 8000 students and 400 teacher for the last 4 years. We have developed and we are prototyping a holistic educational approach which includes innovative teaching and learning methods, teacher training and suppport, Holistic schools and now we want to open our impact to the entire community and include the other important stake-holders, parents.
Idea Proposal Stage (choose one)
Prototype: I have done some small tests or experiments with prospective users to continue developing the idea.
Tell us more about your organization/company (1 sentence and website URL)
The Institute for Progressive education (IPE) is a Bulgarian NGO whose main mission is to contribute to the creation of an education system that supports kids to meet the challenges of the 21st century. We achieve this through implementing innovative teaching practices and systems, supporting the professional development of teachers, and conducting systemic research.
Organization Filing Status
Yes, we are a registered non-profit.
In 3-4 sentences, tell us the inspiration or story that encouraged you to start this project.
Our work is built upon the belief that “all children can excel in math and not only, all teachers can teach math literacy, and both can and should enjoy it.”
We also believe the schools should be an open, alive, supporting and innovative community, where all students can fulfill their full potential no matter where they come from.
Please explain how your selected topic areas are influenced, in the local context of your project (1,000 characters).
Project design and implementation plan: To implement the project we will apply several innovative for our educational system tools, methods, and approaches:
1. Assessment tool to study and measure the competence of teachers to teach 21st century skills and parents mindsets;
2. Map for each school with an analysis of internal resources and competence,
3. Develop the 4 identified skills through three methodological areas – interdisciplinary teaching, project-based learning, and learning by experience;
4. Train teachers and parents to become trainers and leaders of the community;
5. Action research teacher support methodology - through supervision (external support) and intervision (internal exchange and mutual support);
7. Collaborative planning to develop 21st century skills and mindsets for long-term positive school change
Who will work alongside your organization in the project idea? (1,000 characters)
The Institute for Progressive Education is an association which gathers the efforts in education of more Bulgarian non-profits and people. We will work in partnership with them. Our most important partner are the schools which we serve with our programs.
Please share some of the top strengths identified in the community which your project will serve (500 characters)
- A network of schools, recognized with the status of innovative in Bulgaria.
- Partnership with the school principals.
- Partner ngo's.
- Impact in many schools and student from diverse back grounds.
- Evidence and tools of assessment of our programs.
- Partership with other pro-Roma organization.
How many months are required for the project idea? (500 characters)
Did you submit this idea to our 2017 BridgeBuilder Challenge? (Y/N)