CIRCLE OF LIVING MEMORIES
Pedagogical social innovation project that promotes peacebuilding practices to preserve the planet's human and natural diversity.
Photo 1. Intercultural Network of Ancestral and Traditional Knowledge of Colombia, Activity "fruit of our roots", presented at Expoartesanías 2015 - 2016.
Photo 1. Intercultural Network of Ancestral and Traditional Knowledge of Colombia, Activity "fruit of our roots", 2017
Photo 2. Location of place of origin of the members of the Intecultural Network.
Photo 3. Participants of the course "participation from ancestral ethnic knowledge", whose objective was to provide participants with knowledge, skills and abilities to become social and peace managers
Photo 4. Activity with victims of the armed conflict in the village of Soatama, Cundinamarca, historical reconstruction and establishment of criteria for symbolic reparation of the victims.
Photo 4. Activity with victims of the armed conflict in Cundinamarca, historical reconstruction and establishment of criteria for symbolic reparation of the victims.
Explain your project idea (2,000 characters)
The circles of living memories is a program of pedagogical innovation, which allow strengthening cultural identity, building new languages for peace by retrieving memories and taking care of the territory.
1. We have worked to strengthen the cultural identity of ethnic communities through their knowledge and community practices, in relation to their culture, customs, traditions and uses, to re-signify knowledge in young people from different ethnic and rural communities that are currently studying in universities of Bogotá city. Photo 2.
2. Making known to the Colombian population and especially to the inhabitants of urban areas, the cultural identity of our native people in order to value new languages for the protection and preservation of the living heritage of Colombia. Photo 3.
3. Repairing symbolically the victims of the armed conflict through new languages for peace, managing to reestablish their relationship with themselves, with the environment and with the territory they currently inhabit; with the purpose of positioning them as agents of change and social managers who are an example of resilience. Photo 4
4. We approach realities, we take care of creating bridges between culturally diverse groups, articulating the ancestral and traditional knowledge of the native peoples of Colombia with the disciplinary knowledge imparted from the academic institutions, forming integral citizens (human-spirit-nature-community-society. Photo 5
Who are the beneficiaries? (1,000 characters)
1. University students from different careers and universities of the city of Bogotá, who come from different regions of Colombia, especially from indigenous, afro-descendant and peasant communities. 40 people between ages of 18 and 32 years old.
Video 1. Experience with ethnic groups, Bogota, 2016
Video 2. Living Classroom Installation for Peace in the village of El Saucio, Chocontá, Cundinamarca, cradle of community action committees in Colombia
Foto 5. Academic activity, class "Material Culture of the Arts in Latin America", in this activity teachers and professors of the Graphic Design career and people from different ethnic groups participate.
2. Leaders and representatives of ethnic communities and victims of the armed conflict, inhabitants of the different localities of the city of Bogotá. 60 people 20 adults between 40 to 60 years old, 40 young people between 18 and 32 years old.
3. Representatives of Victims of the Armed Conflict inhabitants in the Municipality of Chocontá and Cajicá, 60 people. 20 adults between 40 to 60 years old, 40 young people between 18 and 32 years old.
How is your idea unique? (1,000 characters)
This idea proposes an inter-generational and intercultural encounter in which grandparents and young people can reconstruct narratives that strengthen the sense of belonging and appropriation of the patrimonial potential that Colombians have, not only in the great value of ecological diversity, but also in the great value of human diversity, highlighting that we have all its knowledge, cosmogonies, cosmovision’s that allow us to build new languages for peace. With the Memory + Territory = Identity equation, it is possible to consolidate the recognition of one's own and the common as a Colombian people.
To consolidate peace, it is necessary to recover cultural identity. Not as a sample of culture, but as a way of life that allows us to restore the relationship between Man-Spirit-Nature-Community-Society. This model of education highlights and values the cultural heritage of our country recognizing the knowledge of each town.
Idea Proposal Stage (choose one)
Full Scale Roll Out: I have already tested and scaled this idea significantly with the intended user base.
Tell us more about your organization/company (1 sentence and website URL)
Between 2016 and 2017 we have made an early adoption both in the city of Bogotá and in the Department of Cundinamarca completing the pilot test that promotes citizen participation, in which 172 people from different ethnic groups living in Bogotá consolidated their knowledge and were certified as first peace managers; and with 2022 victims of the armed conflict in 22 municipalities of the Department of Cundinamarca, with whom the Historical Memory of the Armed Conflict.
• Knowledge and Life Project attached to the Institute of Political Studies and International Relations of the National University of Colombia. http://saberyvida.unal.edu.co/saberyvidanew/template/index.php, and;
• Intercultural Network of ancestral and traditional knowledge of Colombia’s Foundation Creando Lazos de Saber y Vida ( Creating Ties of Knowledge and Life).
Organization Filing Status
No, but we are a formal initiative through a university.
Yes, we are a registered non-profit.
In 3-4 sentences, tell us the inspiration or story that encouraged you to start this project.
See the uprooting that the students of the National University of Colombia had to pass upon arriving in Bogota to begin their university studies.
We think that young people need new languages that allow them to recover their trust and respect for themselves, for the other, for the environment and for the territory, to sow the bases of these new languages through the construction of new paradigms that lead us towards protection, appreciation and respect for the living heritage of Colombians.
Please explain how your selected topic areas are influenced, in the local context of your project (1,000 characters).
It is necessary to design an education that starts by recognizing one's own cultural identity. We are not aware of the great material and immaterial wealth that we have, we must begin by recognizing ourselves in diversity. Value the own knowledge that tends for the relationship Man-Spirit-Nature-Community-Society.
Today is educated to be productive, but not to be an INTEGRAL HUMAN BEING that both mind, body and spirit is integrated into a vocation to SERVE, as a mystique of life that enhances the spirit and our passage through life.
The circle of living memories has allowed us to create bridges to bring the different knowledges, disciplines, cultures, ways of seeing the world to learn to recognize that this diversity or difference does not take us away, but rather strengthens us, since there are so many the knowledge, abilities, talents that converge that their interaction tends towards their own and collective welfare.
Who will work alongside your organization in the project idea? (1,000 characters)
The group is made up of knowledgeable people from different ethnic groups (Photo 2). Young university students from different regions of the country, ethnic communities and professionals from different disciplines, who has led the process, characterized by its innovative spirit, mobilizing actions towards the achievement of the proposed objectives, all of them are part of the Intercultural Network . The Network has a weekly meeting in which community activities are carried out that tend towards good living.
We keep a weekly meeting "word circle" in which knowledge is shared. We attend different academic activities to exchange knowledge, especially we have a course "Material Culture of the Arts in Latin America", in which we have trained 120 industrial designers, in the protection of cultural heritage of Colombia. We have a central management team "Grandparents Council", which meets every 15 days to address, harvest and sow new action
Please share some of the top strengths identified in the community which your project will serve (500 characters)
The work team is made up of Knowledgeable and Young People who share their knowledge, worldviews and cosmogonies. As well as their knowledge in several of their ancestral disciplines, such as Own education, Own Government, Diplomacy of Peoples, Protection of native languages, among others. Some of them are representatives of the victims who have overcome the violence and have achieved with recipients aptitudes to carry out their life project. They are an example for others.
The plurality of participants allows us to indirectly reach several places in the country. Photo 2.A
How many months are required for the project idea? (500 characters)
We hope to obtain resources so that the idea can be maintained for 36 months.
Did you submit this idea to our 2017 BridgeBuilder Challenge? (Y/N)