Open Project Teams - Breaking oligopolies, growing formal employment & avoiding middlemen in Construction sector for planet and prosperity!
Constructing projects by micro-contracting designers with wider & deeper supply networks and project managers with competent ground teams
Open Project Teams - Breaking oligopolies, avoiding middlemen & growing formal employment in Construction sector for planet and prosperity! Construction projects' delivery by micro-contracting between designers & project managers and wider & deeper supply networks & competent on-ground teams.
Current scale of the challenge.
Problem diagnosis: root-cause behind the systemic imbalance
Solution identified, prototyped & tested with focus group of designer & supplier segments
A better future for millions
Phased approach achieving target user-group interaction in diligent manner
Suggestions & connections welcome
Explain your project idea (2,000 characters)
Over four in five construction workers in the developing world are informal – mostly migrants living in shanties near construction sites working most of their lives at minimum legal wage. By 2020, it’s estimated there will be over 200 mn such.
Although one in two contractors complains of skilled labor shortage, informal workers' skill development isn't on the agenda. In fact, one in four workers even lacks the tools to do current jobs well!
Further, from the gross construction spending of $10.9 tn in 2017 (2020 est. $11.9 tn), only top 50 contracting & construction material firms booked sales over $1.3 tn, that's 12%! In developing regions adjusted EBITDA margin of building materials industry breached the 20% mark.
Can we help bring the over 200 mn into main-stream and distribute the nearly $12 tn expense equitably? From our collective experience of 20+ years in construction sector & 30+ years in operations & technology roles, we founders of Open Project Teams LLP believe, “Yes”.
In construction projects, once boss, finance team, designer & project manager reach a consensus, there's haste to delegate time, cost, quality & safety responsibilities to the contractor. Several negotiations, site instructions & changes later, specs get revised to 'whatever is best available' and on opening day contractor hands over incomplete documents, accepts some penalties and file closed! Because everyone's a partner-in-crime here.
We use technology to achieve the following:
1. Break big inept contract into micro-contracts with suppliers & trade-wise on-ground teams
2. Steer real-time interactions:
2.i. between designer & suppliers on the competitive specs to consider
2.ii. between project managers & competent trade-wise teams to streamline deployment
2.iii. between all stakeholders for project aims to remain open & clear
Client clearly knows exact cost, quality, schedule, team competence & community impact.
Who are the beneficiaries? (1,000 characters)
The following people/ organizations benefit:
1. Semi-skilled construction worker shall benefit the most by receiving work opportunities
2. Dependents of aforementioned workers who receive promotion to managerial & supervisory roles will be eligible for formal workforce benefits
3. Product suppliers will get analytical insight on popular product designs and can manage inventory
4. Local fabricators, craftsmen, artists & artisans benefit by getting their products showcased
5. Welfare projects (low-cost housing, primary school, public toilets, etc.) will benefit from contributions by product suppliers in lieu of retail margins
6. Designers will benefit from ready support (catalogue, sample, quote, etc.) available from supply network speeding up client review & approval process
7. Project Managers will benefit from ready support of competent teams, reducing response time & speeding projects delivery
8. Clients can demonstrate project's time, schedule & community impact performance
Semi-skilled informal workers
Workers' children, families & dependents
Ecological product suppliers
Local fabricators, craftsmen & artisans
How is your idea unique? (1,000 characters)
Our main motive is to uplift the migrant labor and local workshops. Local workshops showcase different & innovative products to meet architects & interior designers project needs. This cuts out the middleman, and we then mobilize architects, interior designers & clients to post construction projects on our platform. So, workers don't go searching for new jobs. Through our app workers get to showcase their skill, experience, project history & testimonials to appeal to Project Managers making project team selections. Our app informs available projects and what working conditions to expect from their prospective employers. We strengthen labor contracts by introducing basic policies catered to self & family welfare and fighting the prevalent exploitative practices. We establish a root for workers & nurture them into self-employment. NGOs work to improve living condition and kids' schooling. We streamline the solution by helping them open bank accounts to give them financial inclusion.
Idea Proposal Stage (choose one)
Initial Design: I am exploring the idea, gathering the inspiration and information I need to test it with real users.
Prototype: I have done some small tests or experiments with prospective users to continue developing the idea.
Tell us more about your organization/company (1 sentence and website URL)
Prototype for the future publicly marketed product is here:
Other tools have user-group specific logins. Back-end development of the platform is ongoing resolving for various user-group interaction cases. Documents for registration of Open Project Teams LLP are filed.
Organization Filing Status
No, but we plan to register in the future.
In 3-4 sentences, tell us the inspiration or story that encouraged you to start this project.
I once managed a shopping mall project. On opening day, I saw the security blocking a family at the gate. Security was instructed to allow only neat folks in and they were not-so-well. He was a welder in the project and had brought his family to see where he toiled for past five months.
After collective 35+ years with MNCs, we have the right sector-experts, tech & operational minds on our mission to restore dignity of labour & social equality and welcome suggestions to take in right direction
Please explain how your selected topic areas are influenced, in the local context of your project (1,000 characters).
Two of us founders are qualified architects. We have seen construction ups & downs, but for informal labor & workshops it's just worse or even-worse! They suffer innumerable hardships and the system turns a blind eye.
Breaking oligopolies of small number of big brands will lead to absorption of low carbon-footprint local workshops' produce. That's the Planet goal we're working on in our project!
We understand that just providing workers small monetary gains will be a temporary solution, so we concentrate on building industry skills, children's education, family welfare & community roots. That's Prosperity in our project's context!
Who will work alongside your organization in the project idea? (1,000 characters)
We will build relationships with the following user groups in our journey:
1. Architects & interior designers: They use our tool to reach a wider & deeper product sourcing network, updated catalogs, ready samples & instant quotes.
2. Local fabricators, craftsmen, artists & artisans, building material & Eco-friendly products suppliers: They showcase different & innovative products meeting project specifications and competing with popular oligopolistic brands
3. Semi-skilled informal workers: They showcase their skill, experience, project history & testimonials to appeal to Project Managers making project team selections
4. Client in-house Procurement & Project Management teams: They use our tool for transparency & employment of quality products & competent on-ground teams
5. Construction trade skill-training teams & NGO groups focusing on slum children & migrant families: They are engaged to achieve end-goal of giving roots to workers in the community, as we give job security.
Current focus is India, Firstly, Delhi, Mumbai & Bengaluru using English & local language
How many months are required for the project idea? (500 characters)
- Expanding tech team to develop Kelydo & renyou tools
- Beta user testing and hiring for field success in Bengaluru
- Field success drive in Bengaluru
- Beta user testing and hiring for field success in Delhi & Mumbai
- Achieving front & back-end development of Amigo tool
- Amigo beta user testing in Bengaluru, Delhi & Mumbai
- Field success drive
- Redistributing income in workers' families, training & supplier benefits
Did you submit this idea to our 2017 BridgeBuilder Challenge? (Y/N)