Connecting Artists & Entrepreneur Women with Experts, Resources and International networks to transform peace projects into social business
When we open LaPeaceHub
Explain your project idea (2,000 characters)
The idea is to establish a co-creation center called LaPeaceHub to constantly support artists and entrepreneur women (peacemakers) who create peace projects for vulnerable communities in Medellín, that expand the range of opportunities for their citizens and they can consider planning a life within the legal framework, and prevent them from being part of the sources of violence. LaPeaceHub seeks to turn peace projects into social business to ensure a permanent and positive impact on the community and an economic income to the peacemaker.
LaPeaceHub faces 3 challenges:
1. The approach of state organizations is urgently looking for methodologies of peacebuilding in order to meet the needs mainly of the former ex-combatants not to peacemakers. And the private sector is focused on supporting technology and innovation projects where success is measured by the increase in sales, not by the impact.
2. The main incubators in Medellín are just beginning to inquire about what a social business is and how effective it is
3. LaPeaceHub is creating an economic model that allows the peacemaker to be paid a salary until the project is a sustainable social business that generates that income.
LaPeaceHub's approach was defined after knowing the needs of the peacemakers then the following 4 services were designed:
A. Workshops in Economic Sustainability & Measuring Impact.
B. Supported Team in the daily operations of the project by experts, such as Administrators, Accountant, Specialist, and Sellers.
C. Global Network: to expose the peace projects to the world and get all the advantages of the network provides
D. Salary: We seek to motivate and recognize the peacemaker´s efforts paying a salary during 12 months
LaPeaceHub has a process integrated into 5 stages:
1 Workshops in Economically Sustainable & Measuring Impact.
2 Branding & marketing strategy.
3 Pilot & Assignment of the support team plus salary
4 Registration & 5 Monitoring
Who are the beneficiaries? (1,000 characters)
They are 7 peacemakers impacting around 540 people:
*Yoiner Machado, his NGO called Union Latina, it is providing dance classes to 200 students and he has transformed 1500 lives
*Jhonatan Ruiz, his project called Sueños de Papel, a 4mt library, where he teaches to 40 children to read, write, and sing hip-hop
*Lina Tobón, her NGO called Mangle provides capoeira classes to 70 young people
*Cristian Felipe, his project called Casa La Loma through arts improves the environment that has been fragmented by violence, it is an oasis for 230 young
*Manon Felix, her project called SíHembra, promotes the empowerment & entrepreneurship to 30 women in situations of social vulnerability
*Manuela Arboleda, her project called Dharti Yoga offers yoga programs for women victims of armed conflict
*Carla Bejonero, her project called Deditos Verdes supports training processes that allow the citizens to connect with the planet earth and understand what makes life and its protection possible.
it is a memory when LaPeaceHub were training the 7 peacemakers
How is your idea unique? (1,000 characters)
* The service offered is exclusive to artists and women entrepreneurs whose are building peace in Medellin.
* Provides a team of professionals to manage the daily operations of the project to support the peacemaker until the social business generate a payroll to hire its own staff.
* Provides a salary to the peacemakers during 12 months. Some programs offer seed money for the project but not for the peacemakers. We are focus on the peacemaker from the first stage
* We constantly accompanies the peacemaker, even after the pilot testing the project enters in the monitoring stage, the peacemaker is never alone!
* LaPeaceHub is part of an international network. There are no entities in Medellín that offer this service.
* The founders have invested 10 years of their lives studying and working for social businesses located in Asia and Africa. They´ve grown up in the violence of Medellin and on their return found a transformation of the city that needs constant support.
Idea Proposal Stage (choose one)
Pilot: I have started to implement the idea as a whole with a first set of real users.
Tell us more about your organization/company (1 sentence and website URL)
At LaPeaceHub we believe that talents of artists and entrepreneurs women are the engine for transforming communities but if we make their projects into social business the impact is permanent. www.thepeacehub.com
The LaPeaceHub´s process which keeps transforming communities thanks to the talent of artist and entrepreneur woman
Tthe processes the peacemakers go through. An artistic or empowering project get in LaPeaceHub and after 12 months it´s transformed into a social business which keeps building peace in the community and generates a salary for the peacemaker
Organization Filing Status
Yes, we are a registered non-profit.
In 3-4 sentences, tell us the inspiration or story that encouraged you to start this project.
10 years ago I left my country to open up new opportunities for my life, when I first landed in a foreign country for the first time I got the feeling of being safe then I did not want to return but later on in my trips I saw groups of leaders making big changes, I understood that my past was only a training to make myself stronger. In 2017 I came back I found incredible peace leaders and loved what they were doing. I got the feeling to support them and thank somehow, so LaPeaceHub was born
Please explain how your selected topic areas are influenced, in the local context of your project (1,000 characters).
Peace & Talent
I´ve seen artists are professionals "abandoned" by the society, when a young man or a girl decides to be an artist, his/her parents and friends ask themselves: "how will he/she survive? " it is true that making money from art is hard at least he/her will became famous. In a similar way we think about women from vulnerable communities, we often ask ourselves, "If she does not get married or has the money to study, how will she survive? We forget that she is talented and she can be independent if we support her.
Then there must be a methodology that supports his or her talent and helps an economic and personal growth and at the same time impacting a community. We all know that talents transform lives
Talent and Peace, two concepts misunderstood in Medellín but which, by uniting them, create harmonious and peaceful atmospheres that we are always craving for
LaPeaceHub is trying to bridge the gap between Peace and Talent based on the social business model
Who will work alongside your organization in the project idea? (1,000 characters)
* LaPeaceHub is licensed by the international network called Masterpeace, it focuses on actively engaging people around the world in peace-building actions. Masterpeace will provide information and shares best practices if LaPeaceHub leads 4 art events per year to promote art as a life transformer. The resources must be fundraised by LaPeaceHub as Masterpeace does not provide money. It also will allow the LaPeaceHub´s peacemaker to be part of an annual event with its 40 international members.
* LaPeaceHub got mentoring support from ImasD, it´s design company of products & services. We hope to keep its support
* LaPeaceHub has recently been pre-selected by the “Corporacion Region” to train its members in "territory peacebuilding". The process started in March 2018
* As described in a previous question, LaPeaceHub is engaged to 7 projects impacting 5 communities in the city it is around 540+ people
* LaPeaceHub has made a volunteering team of experts for some workshops
Please share some of the top strengths identified in the community which your project will serve (500 characters)
A great strength comes directly from the leaders we support, who´ve already been working for their communities for some time and have proved a positive impact. Also, they have suffered violence and they won´t repeat that experience again
Medellin has been recognized as the transforming city of the world, to maintain this recognition and to keep the city safe is the most difficult part of the transformation, it is necessary to continue supporting every opportunity offering a safe atmosphere
LaPeaceHub is operating in Medellín - Colombia. Targeting 5 vulnerable neighbourhoods
How many months are required for the project idea? (500 characters)
At LaPeaceHub we understand returning to a peace project into a social business takes a long time, perseverance and constancy for these reasons LaPeaceHub has been registered as an NGO for a duration of 50 years.
Did you submit this idea to our 2017 BridgeBuilder Challenge? (Y/N)