Powerhyde is a radical concept in housing, though designed for ‘extreme affordable’ housing, it is expandable to any type of housing in the world. Our scenario was that if we created a startup home building organisation for the homeless, in the mode of Tesla and SolarCity, if we started a home design for homeless from scratch, what would we do? Very often new ideas and technologies are started with the upper crest of market segment and gradually over time, with scale and value engineering, watered down cheaper, lower quality versions reach the bottom of the pyramid. Powerhyde reverses this process and has been designed from ground up for the 1 billion strong but highly underserved homeless market.
The result is a thought-provoking view of the future of housing, where the homeless can afford their ‘own’ house in a dignified way and be far ahead in an environmental stewardship than the rest of us on the planet.
Powerhyde reimagines affordable homes that can be built fast, are of high quality, aspirational for the users, minimise externalities to the environment and above all, can self-finance itself by the energy it produces and sells.
Each Powerhyde home will generate 4x the amount of energy that the home would need to consume through a solar power plant on its roof. The additional 3x energy will be sold to finance the house to fully pay the mortgage in 11 years. For the remaining 11 years of the life of the solar cells, it will provide additional income to investors and the families. Powerhyde community of 170 homes will generate energy equivalent to 1 MW solar power plant.
A powerhyde home is 30% prefabricated and will be shipped from regional factories located within 500kms of the construction site. This will ensure structural integrity for topographical and regional needs, ensuring every house is safe against natural calamities. The remaining 70% of the house is locally built using materials and designs most conducive to climate, context and cultural appropriateness. 25sqm powerhyde home can be assembled and built in two months through this methodology.
A powerhyde collects its own rain water, cleans its grey water and produces its food, optimising need for additional infrastructure construction.
Powerhyde manages and optimises its performance through an IOT based mobile app which provides real-time information on energy production, energy sales and mortgage payments.
'Powerhyde' is a cohesive model of environmentally friendly housing demand and sustainable finance, which allows homes to become passive income generator and active contributor to a family's income through design, construction, and technology.