We propose that the “bridging work” of our time may be “bridging play” to build bridges to peace, prosperity, and planet by “playing with compassion”.
Here is the Improve Phase Summary document: http://bit.ly/2rpbgZf
Welcome to the Compassion Games: Survival of the Kindest.
Compassion Games International promotes and strengthens new narratives of citizen power through the lens and experience of compassion. Compassion is an antidote to the fear, division, disconnection and social isolation of our time. Scientific research abounds in revealing the intrinsic value of compassion in supporting civil society as well as individual people to flourish.
As a profound source of empowerment within each of us, doing compassionate acts as part of a community challenge inspires us to connect authentically with one another, rejuvenating our spirits as we actively live into a positive vision of our world, together.
We see compassion as the power-source for a positive social narrative and that compassionate acts transcend boundaries that divide people and institutions.
With your help we can take this to scale, to extend and enhance community-level change by increasing the number of participating communities; and increasing the quality of life for the players and partners and those they serve within each of their communities.
The following six impacts offer a way to appreciate and anticipate the benefits of participation in the Compassion Games:
1. Catalyst to Ignite Engagement: The Compassion Games reframe play and competition by turning “competitive altruism” and “friendly-competition” into “coopetition” amongst and between different teams to create excitement and motivate interest in participating.
2. Amplifier of What’s Already Working: The Compassion Games can strengthen and amplify what is already working in a community. Weaving together existing events and activities from different groups and organizations catalyzes a shared collective impact. The Compassion Games also inspires new events and activities that build upon existing efforts.
3. Framework and Baseline for Measuring Compassion Strength: The Compassion Games measure community service through the number of volunteers, hours of service, monies raised for local causes, and numbers of people served. Results create a baseline for building a team’s compassion impact and value over time, strengthening our individual and collective “compassion muscles”.
4. Engaging Environment for Reflection and Learning: The Compassion Games offer a means for engagement and reflection which transfers the experiences from the Games to the real world. Composing and sharing Compassion Reports that include these reflections helps players build the skills needed to act more effectively and compassionately with ourselves and our communities.
5. Platform for Cultivating Open Participation: The Compassion Games offer an open-source, “Do-It-Ourselves” creative platform. The Games tap into a growing capacity and desire to engage with compassion in ways that go beyond theory and passive consumption. The Games are open, participatory, peer-driven, and a thriving example of open-source collaboration.
6. Connection to a Global Movement: The Compassion Games are a part of an international compassion movement that inspires participation in something greater than oneself. The Compassion Games help us to understand, connect, and learn from each other while co-creating a global culture of kindness.
Results to Date